I completed my Fresh Start 10-Day Cleanse at the beginning of this year with a group of clients and it was the perfect timing for me – after a non-stop party and holiday season with definitely too much sugar, carbs and alcohol. I love working with clients to do a gentle seasonal detox at the beginning of the year as it can shake up your diet, hit the reset button and help you lose a few pounds and feel more energetic and ready to tackle anything at the beginning of a New Year.
Here are my takeaways from this winter’s detox:
- Preparation is key. After a busy Sunday menu planning, grocery shopping and meal prepping – I was totally ready for the Monday start to the detox and felt very organized. This was a gluten free and dairy free detox, so I made sure I had enough nut milks and gluten free options for all my meals. I couldn’t lapse on the detox as I had a fridge full of delicious and nutritious snacks and meals to choose from.
- Getting creative is fun. Yes – winter can seem like one endless season of root vegetables and you may sometimes crave strawberries and lettuce but there are plenty of healthy meals you can make with kale, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, sweet potatoes, citrus fruits, carrots — and even turnips!
- Getting ready for spring now is brilliant. I know it’s snowing outside and I’m wearing 6 layers before I even get out of the front door, but I want to get a head start on spring and summer. I want to build a healthy body now and develop some really great healthy habits that will see me through the year. There is a huge sense of satisfaction that comes with losing a few pounds and feeling lighter during a detox.
- Eating healthy food makes me want to be healthy in every aspect of my life. I started running four times a week. Put away my phone and computer and had a bath or read a book instead. I spent more time with friends and family. I was a much happier person!
- Detoxing isn’t just about weight loss. It’s about learning which foods are right for you. Which foods you should cut out. Which foods you should keep in. Feeling lighter. Gaining more control of cravings for carbs and sugar. Trying new recipes and finding that you do enjoy kale. Getting better digestion. More energy. Deeper sleep. Happier relationships.
My cleanse lasted so much longer than the 10 days and I’m still keeping up with the healthy habits with my clients.
I can’t wait to do it again in the spring.