I’ve been trying out different recipes for these delicious sweet potato brownies in my kitchen all week with my own twist and have come up with this recipe. They are easy to make and are a delicious and guilt free treat any time of the day since there is no sugar and they are naturally sweetened with raw honey and the sweet potato. I use coconut flour which makes them an excellent gluten free option and together with the coconut oil, gives them a nice coconutty taste. The walnuts add the right amount of crunch. Make sure you use high quality baking ingredients and take some time to roast the sweet potato. I find that making a double batch and freezing some is extra handy when you have lots of mouths to feed.
- 1 medium size sweet potato – roasted with peel on at 400 F for 30 minutes
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 3 organic eggs, whisked
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons coconut flour
- 3-4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, depending on how chocolately you like your brownies!
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup walnuts
- pinch of Celtic sea salt
- Roast the sweet potato in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes until soft.
- Lower the temperature of the oven to 350 degrees for the brownies.
- Peel the skin off the roasted sweet potato and mash it in a bowl.
- Add your wet ingredients to the sweet potato mash.
- Then add your dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix well. Have a quick taste of the batter to see if it is chocolately enough. If not, add more cacao powder. Also if the mixture is too runny, add a tablespoon more of the coconut flour.
- Grease or line a 8×8 baking tray and pour mixture in.
- Pour into an 8×8 glass baking dish and bake for about 40 minutes until soft but not mushy. Let cool in pan and slice into 12 or 16 square sized bars and enjoy!