In the Northeast right now, we’re experiencing some crisper mornings, shorter days, orange leaves on trees…fall is right around the corner. It’s my favorite season of the year. The temperatures are so much more comfortable for me (I’m an English Rose suffering in the NYC summer heat!) and I love to get out on my bike, take a run in the local park or go hiking in the local mountains. I love the colors, the food, the chance to drink more tea, make soup and cosy up with a good book.
At this point in the year, I think it’s important to take a little step back and reflect on our health.
As they say, September is the new January and with kids back at school and a renewed energy in our workplaces it’s time to set some new health and wellness goals for the fall.
We also want to focus on boosting our immunity this fall so we don’t get sick in the winter!
If you have spent the summer drinking tons of green juice, swimming at the beach and hanging out in the sun, here are some easy ways to transition and get healthy this fall:
1. Gradually change your diet from raw salads and green juices to warmer foods. Try soups, stews, warm tea (I love dandelion tea, fennel and licorice in the fall). Don’t worry, I’ll be blogging some delicious fall recipes to inspire you over the coming weeks!
2. Add seasonal ingredients to your diet. You’ll soon see pumpkins, squash, pears, apples, dark leafy greens and root vegetables appearing at local markets. Try them in soups, roasted in the oven, as a simple dessert, sautéed or in casseroles.
3. Change your exercise routine. Add brisk walks, biking, hiking and indoor exercise such as swimming and yoga into your week.
4. Get some more rest. Try taking a quick power nap during the day or go to bed earlier in the evening.
5. Add immunity boosting spices to your meals such as turmeric, ginger and garlic and chili peppers.
If you are ready to change your health this fall, I’ll be offering two dates in October for my gentle 7 Day Fall Cleanse. Sign up for my newsletter at my website for the early bird specials and other great offers!