You have probably seen lots of people doing it and espousing the health benefits: drinking warm lemon water is definitely the right way to start any day. Hydrating and delicious, it’s a perfect drink to incorporate into any cleanse or detox. I advise my clients to start their day with it and always say if there is one thing you want to do for your health, start your day with lemon water! Try it for a month and see: it has so many health benefits and you will feel amazing.
If you haven’t jumped onto the lemon water bandwagon just yet and are curious to find out more about it, here are the top 5 reasons why I love to kick start my day with it.
Top 5 Reasons To Start Your Day With Lemon Water
1. It flushes out toxins first thing in the morning and maximizes enzyme function in the liver.
2. Lemon water aids your digestive system and encourages the production of bile.
3. It’s a great source of vitamin C which boosts your immunity.
4. Helps you get glowing skin, fewer wrinkles and prevents acne.
5. Helps with weight-loss: lemons have pectin fiber to curb cravings and they support a pH balance in your body for an alkaline diet which is great for weight loss.
Simple Recipe for Warm Lemon Water
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 cup warm water (boil water first and let it cool to a warm temperature)
Mix together and drink!
What does my dentist say about lemon water?
On a recent check up with my dentist in New York, I asked him about lemon water and its effects on tooth enamel. Several of my clients had expressed concern about lemon water being too acidic and harsh on tooth enamel. My dentist works with some of NYC’s top nutritionists and knows the health benefits especially as part of a cleanse or detox program. He emphasized the importance of drinking lemon water through a straw so that it doesn’t come into contact with the teeth. Also, after you drink the lemon water, be sure to flush out your mouth with a glass of regular, filtered water. The worst thing you can do is to brush your teeth after drinking lemon water as the tooth enamel is softer and the brush may scratch or damage the enamel. If you follow these steps, drinking lemon water every day will be one of the healthiest things you can do!