Here’s an easy breakfast for your little sweeties for Valentine’s morning: strawberry heart pancakes. My kids loved helping me make them this weekend. The strawberry slices look just like hearts and cook up beautifully in the pan in the pancake batter. Serve with fresh strawberry slices and a pink smoothie and everyone will love you.
Gluten free pancake recipe*
1 cup of gluten free all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup of unsweetened applesauce
1 cup of almond milk
1-2 tablespoons grass fed butter
Strawberries, washed and sliced lengthways
1. In a bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
2. Add wet ingredients and whisk until combined.
3. In a cast iron skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter.
4. Drop down large spoonfuls of the batter into the pan.
5. Place one strawberry in the center of each pancake.
6. Once pancakes are bubbling (1-2 minutes), flip over.
7. Cook for 1-2 minutes longer.
8. Serve piping hot with maple syrup and fresh strawberry slices.
*(if you are in a rush and don’t want to follow all the steps in the recipe, you can definitely use a good quality gluten free pancake mix. I really like Bob’s Red Mill gluten free pancake mix. Just add milk and an egg!)
Love this recipe? Sign up on my website for my Mama Loves Healthy newsletter for more healthy recipes, nutrition tips and detox news!