Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all my healthy followers!
If you are worried about packing on the pounds and staying healthy this festive season, read my tips below for help.
- Stay stress free. When we are stressed (by family members, cooking big holiday meals or traveling) we raise our levels of cortisol which inhibits our ability to properly digest food. Try to get as much rest as you can. Plan ahead, pace yourself and take a break.
- Enjoy a pre-party snack. Have a protein or high fiber snack before you head out to the holiday party to satisfy you. Great examples include yogurt and fruit, bread and nut butter or hummus and veggies.
- Apply the 80:20 rule. Balance your diet with 80% healthy food and treat yourself with the rest. This way, you won’t over indulge or feel guilty during special occasions.
- Stay hydrated. Drink 6-8 glasses of water a day especially on days when you have big nights out and holiday parties with lots of alcohol.
- Keep your eye on January. Do you really want to spend the first part of 2014 trying to lose the 10-20 pounds you gained since Halloween? Think seriously about your choices now. Apply the tips above to stay healthy and on track.