I think I’ve gone a little pumpkin crazy this year. I’m drinking pumpkin smoothies most days, snacking on spicy roast pumpkin seeds and enjoying pumpkin puree in risottos and soups. Here’s a delicious treat that I’ll be making on Halloween. If you come to my house to trick or treat, you might get lucky and get to sample one of these! The pumpkin muffin is paired with a delicious and healthy raw avocado-banana topping. Pumpkin is full of vitamin A and C, beta-carotene, healthy fiber and potassium. Avocados are super foods that we should be including much more into our daily diet as they are full of healthy fats.
Ingredients for the muffins (makes about 16)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon each cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- (optional: 1/2 cup oats)
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup real maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons milk (almond, coconut or cow)
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Mix all the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Combine both dry and wet ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Prepare muffin tin by lining with muffin liners or spraying each cup. Add a large spoonful of muffin mixture to each cup.
- Bake for 20 minutes in a 350F oven or until light brown and puffy.
- Remove from tin and cool.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 medium banana
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
Directions: place all ingredients into a blender. Spoon onto tops of cooled pumpkin muffins.